You will find heaps of recipes online for “lactation cookies” (for helping boost supply during breast feeding). Some recipes are better for you than others. I wanted to give them a go… so I created my own healthy vegan recipe combining the key ingredients: oats, flax and yeast.
You can whip these up in just a few minutes and they are totally delicious. You can bang out a batch during your bub’s power nap (I promise). Even my non-mummy friends enjoyed them!
Enjoy with a cuppa of your favourite nursing tea blend which includes Fenugreek.
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup dairy free dark chocolate chips
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 4 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup apple puree
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pre-heat your oven to 180degC.
- Add the oat flour, self raising flour, rolled oats, nutritional yeast, chocolate chips, salt and sugar to a mixing bowl.
- If you can't buy ready made oat flour you can make it by grinding rolled oats in your high powered blender or food processor.
- Combine the water and ground flaxseeds in a small bowl and mix well.
- Add the liquid coconut oil, apple puree and vanilla extract to the same small bowl and stir.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients in the mixing bowl until a stiff dough is formed. You might need to add a very small amount more water if the dough is a little dry.
- Form the dough into 12 balls and spread out evenly on a greased baking tray.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until firm on the outside and still soft in the middle.