As autumn rolls in it is time to start thinking comfort food and with Easter just around the corner entertaining is also on my mind.
This week I am sharing with you a Veggies & Me twist on a classic Aussie dish: The Sausage Roll. Of course this recipe is sans sausage but instead is veggie packed. Please use the recipe below as a guide and fill your pastry rolls with your own veggies of choice. Some kind of soft cooked starchy veg like potato or sweet potato helps to bind everything together.
Enjoy with your fav sauce or relish and stand proud as you share them with your friends or family. These do have a bit of a wow factor with really not much effort. Enjoy!
Veggie "Sausage" Rolls
- 600g potato
- 400g can of cooked chickpeas
- 1 large grated zucchini
- 140g tomato paste
- 1/4 cup yeast flakes
- Small bunch herbs thyme and parsley chopped
- 4 spring onions sliced
- pinch of salt, pepper and garlic granules
- Oil to grease tray
- Grease proof paper
- 4 sheets vegan puff pastry
- Mylk to brush (e.g. soy milk, rice milk)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Peel and cube the potato into 2-3cm dice then steam until soft.
- Set aside to cool.
- Take the pastry out of the freezer to allow to completely defrost.
- Preheat your oven to 220degC.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas.
- Grate the zucchini into a large mixing bowl and add the chickpeas and cooled cooked potato.
- Add the tomato paste, yeast flakes, chopped herbs, sliced spring onions, salt, pepper and garlic granules.
- Combine well by mixing with a wooden spoon.
- Line a large oven tray with grease proof paper and oil lightly with a pastry brush.
- To assemble the rolls first cut each sheet of pastry in half length-ways.
- Spoon a thick sausage size amount of mixture along the long edge of each rectangle of pastry and roll so the filling is completely encased in the pastry.
- Lay the pastry rolls side by side on the baking tray (with the join at the bottom) with a small gap in between each one.
- Using a sharp knife cut each roll into your desired shorter lengths to make the individual sausage rolls.
- Brush each roll with a little mylk and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Cook for 30 minutes or until the pastry is flaky and golden brown.
- Makes 21-24
Veggies & Me https://veggiesandme.com/